Skip to main content

Spitfires win shootout to sail into Errea Semis

Five pre-season games in, still unbeaten!

Having drawn with Grays, beaten Andover, and being 2-0 up against Southampton before eventually drawing in an exciting 3-3 draw, the Spitfires' pre-season preparations could not get much better could it?

Well, yes actually! Taking part in the Errea South West Cup Ian Baird's Eastleigh have notched up two terrific wins over Crystal Palace and then last night managing to beat Blue Square Premier side Torquay United on penalties to sail through into the semi finals.

Kevin Dixon, heaped praise on how well things are going at present, on the Eastleigh messageboard :

"Whilst the tour is proving to be physically tough for the lads they are beginning to gel very well and an excellent team spirit is developing.

Credit for this must go to The Management and Coaches who are guiding the squad, and getting the best from what appears to be a very focused and committed group of players."


Errea South West Cup

By Kevin Dixon

An excellent performance from the guys last night. Against, what we believe to be a full strength Torquay side. A thoroughly deserved 0-0 scoreline after 90 mins having competed very well in the first half and dominated the second half.

Penalties scored by Luke Byles, Peter Adeniyi and Jason Matthews (who also made two excellent penalty saves), saw us through to Saturday's Semi Final against Chertsey.

Mark Marshall was named man of the match, but everybody gave a very good account of themselves. Defensively we looked very strong and determined, the midfield worked very hard to deny time and space and the forwards also were strong and hard working giving the Torquay defence no respite.

Team Line Up: Jason Matthews, Andy Harris, Tom Jordan, Luke Byles, Trevor Challis, Tony Taggart, Peter Adeniyi, Anthony Riviere, Mark Marshall, James Baker, Mattt Groves

Subs Used: Neil Davies for Baker after 68 mins. Not used - Aaron Martin, Gareth Howells, Chris Mason, Ashley Vickers, Tom Bird, Aaron Milburn


Errea South West Cup

By Kevin Dixon

Half Time: 2-0 Taggart pen and Davies

Full Time: 2-1

Played against a fairly young Palace Team, with Mr Schefacookee (not spelt correct but you will know who it is) playing up front.

Very good first half going in 2 nil up, deservedly so. Conceded a goal after approx 53 mins, but worked very hard to secure the win.

Another good work out, without using all the senior players. The 5 younger members of the squad gave a good account of themselves and will have learnt a bit more about the level of work/concentration and committment required by the Management Team.

Possible tougher test tomorrow v Torquay who we believe have brought a full strength team to the tournament.

Team Line Up: Gareth Howells, Anthony Riviere, Aaron Martin, Ashley Vickers, Tom Bird, Tony Taggart, Chris Mason, Neil Davies, Adam Shephard, Aaron Milburn, James Baker

Subs used: Matt Groves for Baker, Mark Marshall for Taggart, Andy Harris for Riviere


Popular posts from this blog

AFC Fylde 2-2 Eastleigh

Ryan Broom scored twice to help maintain Eastleigh's unbeaten run, which now stretches to nine games in the National League.

Spitfires boss Andy Hessenthaler reflecting on the point said: “I think it was a fair result.

“The way we started the game was tremendous. We pinned them back and we got the goal.

“But Fylde are a good side. They’re young, they have very good movement and they take risks. It’s hard to stop their flow of play, but we dug in and defended really well.

“They equalised, but we responded straight afterwards with an absolutely fantastic goal. It was a sublime finish by Ryan who had an exceptional afternoon on his first start.

“It (Fylde's late equaliser) was a little bit frustrating when we were so close to getting all three points, but this was a good point and a valuable one against a decent side.

“My target when I took over was two points a game. I’ve had eight games and we’re actually two points ahead of that target with 18.

“We’ve now got to build on that …

Eastleigh 1-1 Wrexham

Ten-man Eastleigh fought back from a goal down to earn a point with a dramatic late equaliser at the Silverlake.

EASTLEIGH: Graham Stack, Sam Togwell (Ben Williamson, 65), Sam Wood (Michael Green, 82), Cav Miley, Ryan Cresswell, Andrew Boyce, Mark Yeates, Ryan Broom, Paul McCallum, Sam Matthews, Chris Zebroski (Reda Johnson, 72). Subs (not used): Ross Flitney, Danny Hollands.

Referee: Adam Bromley.

Attendance: 1,765 (205 from Wrexham)

Reaction from Andy Hessenthaler, Graham Stack and Ryan Cresswell:
REACTION: Thoughts from the #Spitfires boss Andy Hessenthaler, Graham Stack (@GrahamStack1) & Ryan Cresswell after their clash with Wrexham...

Listen: — BBC Solent Sport (@solentsport) April 7, 2018

Tranmere 3-1 Eastleigh

Eastleigh fell to a third successive away defeat in the National League with a 3-1 loss at Tranmere.

Reaction from Andy Hessenthaler:
Eastleigh boss Andy Hessentalher says the 3-1 scoreline against @TranmereRovers wasn't a fair reflection of the #Spitfires performance

More @EastleighFC reaction 👉 — BBC Solent Sport (@solentsport) March 24, 2018

Barrow 3-2 Eastleigh

Eastleigh almost came away with a point despite being 3-1 down at Barrow. 
Ben Williamson made it 3-2 late on to add to Chris Zebroski's earlier strike before Ross Flitney headed the ball against the crossbar in the final seconds.