Gilly's convinced Eastleigh should have had a penalty

By Wendy Gee -

STRIKER Richard Gillespie is convinced Eastleigh should have had penalty 12 minutes before Andy Forbes dragged the Spitfires back on level terms in their 2-1 FA Cup defeat to Barrow at Holker Street.

There was much debate between players and officials when Barrow’s otherwise impeccable keeper Stuart Tomlinson raced out to challenge Gillespie on the right edge of the penalty area.

A free-kick was eventually awarded, but the 24-year-old Winchester-based marksman swears contact was made inside the box.

He said: “The ball was put through to me and, as I ran onto it, I saw the keeper out of corner of my eye.

“I held my run a bit and he’s come flying into me and wiped me out.

“Somehow, even though the linesman was standing right on the spot, he said it was outside the area.

“But after the incident you could see the stud marks and the skid marks on the pitch and they were blatantly inside the box.

“Outside the area there were no marks on the pitch or anything.

“I know Forbesy equalised in any case, but had we got a goal earlier we could have pushed on more for a winner rather than holding out for a draw.”

Photo courtesy of Graeme Horobin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Richard Hill

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.