Doswell out to get scoring ace Forbes

By Wendy Gee -

SUTTON United's former Eastleigh boss Paul Doswell has confirmed his interest in the Spitfires' out of contract striker Andy Forbes.

It was Doswell who originally took Forbes to the Silverlake Stadium from Winchester City in August 2004, since when the 30-year-old hotshot has scored 143 goals in 268 appearances for the Blue Square South club.

Forbes, though has had a brittle relationship with current Eastleigh boss Ian Baird which came to a head in November when he was transfer-listed.

He was later taken off the list after convincing Baird of his hunger to remain at the Silverlake.

But, with his contract now at an end and Eastleigh offering reduced terms for next season, it looks as if he will be moving on.

Doswell, who has spoken to Forbes, said: "I can confirm my interest.

"Nothing's been signed, sealed or delivered, but Andy's someone I signed in the first place and I still consider him to one of the best strikers around.

"If he's available and I'm lucky enough to get him, I'd be over the moon. I still hold him in the highest regard."

With Sutton having lost out in the Ryman Premier play-off semi-finals, Doswell believes that signing Forbes could be the key to getting the U's promoted next term.

"The one thing we needed last season was a nailed-on goalscorer - and Forbesy's just that," he said.

"We want to get up next year and he can be a big part of that.

"Andy knows I like him and want him at the club and that's half the battle with him. He likes to feel wanted and he doesn't really like change.

"He knows me and he knows the set-up at Sutton. I'd be asking him to take a step back to maybe take a step forward again.

"So am I interested in him? Yes. But have I signed him? Definitely not."
Baird who is also resigned to losing winger Tony Taggart, said negotiations with Forbes had not got off on the best footing.

"I said I'd speak to all the players on the Monday after our last game at Worcester, but there were three I didn't get hold of and when I phoned Forbesy on the Tuesday he said he felt he wasn't wanted.

"I told him I saw him as a better centre-half than centre-forward, although I did see him as a dual-purpose player.

"I said he'd get a reduced deal next season, the same as everyone else, and that I felt he owed the club a bit of loyalty.

"But Forbesy obviously feels he'd get more money at another club. It's disappointing because when he snapped his Achilles playing badminton last year (an injury which ruled him out for half of 2008/09), we could easily have terminated his contract.

Injuries again blighted Forbes in 2009/10, restricting him to 24 league starts.

"You don't get too much loyalty from players these days," added Baird.

Left-back Ian Oliver has been released by the Spitfires, but Eastleigh have agreed a contract with former AFC Totton utility man Ross Bottomley and are renewing midfielder/right back Danny Smith's contract.

They have also agreed terms for next season with Warren Goodhind.

In the light of that, Baird's budget will not stretch to signing ex-AFC Totton right-back Ryan Hill, even though he has had talks with Dorchester Town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.

Richard Hill