Skip to main content

Excellent Eastleigh ease past Woking


Blue Square Bet South

eport by Jamie Montigue

Eastleigh secured an emphatic victory over promotion rivals Woking to enhance the Spitfires' playoff credentials. It was a strong team performance from Eastleigh to beat a very in-form Woking team who had recorded eleven wins and a draw from their previous twelve league games.

Ian Baird's side remain in eighth place but have played fewer games than all the teams above them and have narrowed the gap on the playoff positions to just two points with games in hand.

This afternoon was the complete reverse of the heavy defeat to Welling last weekend, which Eastleigh put well and truly behind them; with a massive victory over Garry Hill's Woking.

The Spitfires made four changes to the starting eleven from last Saturday. Ross Bottomley dropped out of the squad completely and was replaced by Warren Goodhind at right back. Danny Smith came back into the side following injury to play alongside Ian Herring in the centre of midfield; Anthony Riviere started on the bench. Tony Taggart made a return to the starting line up at the expense of Peter Adeniyi. Meanwhile Shaun McAuley came into the side replacing striker Mark Nwokeji, who was injured today and is set to return to parent club AFC Wimbledon following a month’s loan spell at the Silverlake Stadium.

Eastleigh inflicted early damage on the Cards starting the game at lightning speed to go two-nil up with just four minutes on the clock.

TONY TAGGART struck first scoring inside the opening 60 seconds following a well-worked move across the pitch. Taggart started the move passing the ball out wide to Ian Herring, who in turn got to the by-line and crossed from right to left. Richard Graham picked the ball up on the far side and sent another testing delivery into the Woking box with a looping cross that was brought under control by Taggart and fired past the keeper and into the net.

Incredibly, in an almost surreal start to the match, JAMIE SLABBER doubled the lead in the fourth minute scoring his 16th league goal of the season to score against his former club and put Eastleigh well in control so early in the game. The goal came about from a high ball into the box as Luke Byles’ deep free kick from was nodded down well by Chris Holland and Slabber did the rest prodding the ball home from close range. It was truly a dream start for Eastleigh.

Woking hit back in the 13th minute to reduce the deficit. ANDY BURGESS curled a long range free kick towards goal that went in off the post to beat Jason Matthews low to his right, despite the Eastleigh stopper’s best attempts to keep the ball out.

A minute later Eastleigh were back to threatening again after the slight setback of conceding. Ian Herring’s long throw was flicked on by Tom Jordan to the far post where Chris Holland connected with the loose ball but couldn’t quite keep his shot down.

Eastleigh continued to control the game and came close once more when Richard Graham brought the ball under control just outside the penalty area. The Eastleigh winger attempted a delicate lob over the Woking keeper Andy Little, who Graham had spotted off his line, but the effort was well saved.

With 28 minutes played, Graham played a low cross into the Woking box, which fell kindly for Tony Taggart who fired a powerful shot narrowly over the bar.

The outstanding Warren Goodhind, who performed excellently throughout the match, made a crucial intervention in the 32nd minute to make a terrific clearance to remove the danger. Craig Dobson had got down the right hand side and sent a cross into the Eastleigh penalty area at tremendous speed and precision. Had Goodhind not hooked the ball away, the visitors would have had a clear chance at goal to draw level.

Eastleigh held a well-earned lead at the break after starting the game in the best possible fashion with two exceptionally quick goals from Taggart and Slabber.

HALF TIME: Eastleigh 2-1 Woking

The bumper crowd of 877 were in fine voice to make for a good atmosphere inside the stadium to match the football that was on show.

Two minutes after the restart, Eastleigh forced a corner early in the second half. Tony Taggart’s set piece found the run of Chris Holland to perfection, but the commanding centre back nodded just wide of the target from 8-yards.

Woking’s Jay Davies fired comfortably over the bar in the 48th minute, before Jason Matthews made a vital save with the score still at 2-1. Andy Burgess’ header looked certain to find the top corner of goal to draw the scores level, but against the odds Matthews at full stretch kept the ball out. Had this effort gone in, who knows the end result may have been different; as it happened Eastleigh from this point went on to control the game and were the only side in it.

Jamie Brown made a welcome return to Eastleigh FC following a spell away at Winchester City. The target man striker came off the bench for Slabber, who picked up an injury that will need to be assessed. Brown was given a warm reception and quickly got into the thick of things with the type of whole-hearted performance that the Eastleigh fans have become accustomed to, having seen Brown play for the best part of four seasons.

Tom Jordan came close to extending Eastleigh’s advantage in the 52nd minute when Graham played the ball across the six-yard box, only for Little to make a brave save at the feet of the towering centre half.

Chris Holland then headed a Woking cross behind his own goal that went a couple of yards past the post for a corner, which Eastleigh went on to defend well.

The Spitfires restored their two-goal cushion when captain TOM JORDAN headed home a third Eastleigh goal from a Richard Graham corner on the hour mark. It was a crucial goal that helped to settle the score and increase the chances of Eastleigh claiming all three points.

In the 68th minute, Shaun McAuley was denied by the woodwork as his long range effort clipped the outside of the post. Eastleigh did add a fourth goal however, just two minutes later and it was no more than deserved for a dominant display.

TONY TAGGART completed the scoring twenty minutes from time to round off an excellent victory by scoring his second and Eastleigh's fourth goal of the afternoon. Tony broke through on goal as the hosts counter-attacked from a Woking free kick and the winger slipped the ball neatly past Andy Little in the Woking goal.

Tom Jordan was named as the sponsor’s man of the match for another solid performance at the heart of the Eastleigh defence where he won every header and tackle. Taking nothing away from Jordan, special praise must also be given to Ian Herring who was superb in midfield with a combative, controlling display.

It was an excellent three points for Eastleigh who must now take this performance into another big game on Tuesday night; Ian Baird’s side travel to Welling United seeking revenge for their recent 4-1 defeat. Should Eastleigh perform to the level they did today, there shouldn’t be too many problems.

Eastleigh: Matthews, Goodhind (Adeniyi 83), Byles, Herring, Jordan (c), Holland, McAuley, Smith, Slabber (Brown 50), Taggart (Riviere 79), Graham. Subs (Unused): Barfoot, Gillespie.

Goals: Tony Taggart (1, 70), Jamie Slabber (4), Tom Jordan (60)

FULL TIME: Eastleigh 4-1 Woking

Woking - 260311


Popular posts from this blog

Chester 3-1 Eastleigh

Eastleigh slipped to 13th in the table after a second defeat in as many games. Chester ran out 3-1 winners. Mark Yeates the Spitfires' goalscorer.

Reaction from Andy Hessenthaler: “We said before the game that the work ethic had been tremendous for the last nine or ten games but the problem is that we’ve kept conceding goals and it’s caught up with us now.

“I wasn’t disappointed with the performance last week (a 2-0 home defeat by Boreham Wood) but after today everyone has got to look at themselves.

“We can’t keep conceding goals the way we are.

"It's up to myself and the coaching staff to get that right but, ultimately, it comes down to the players. They've let us down today."

Maidenhead 3-1 Eastleigh

Ayo Obileye netted his seventh goal of the season from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time to make it 1-1, but the Spitfires lost 3-1 away at Maidenhead after two second-half goals.

Eastleigh: Stack, Hoyte, Togwell, Cresswell, Wood (Shaw 72), McCallum (Constable 79), Yeates (Williamson 72), Zebroski, Obileye, Miley, Matthews. Booked: McCallum, Hoyte.

Reaction from Andy Hessenthaler and Ayo Obileye following a third straight defeat.
.@EastleighFC manager Andy Hessenthaler says his players need to start "earning their money" after defeat at Maidenhead

It was Eastleigh's third straight defeat in — BBC Solent Sport (@solentsport) February 20, 2018
A 7⃣th @EastleighFC goal of the season for @AyoObileye couldn't inspire the #Spitfires to victory. The defender has spoken to @Ian_Wilding1 after the 3-1 defeat — BBC Solent Sport (@solentsport) February 20, 2018

AFC Fylde 2-2 Eastleigh

Ryan Broom scored twice to help maintain Eastleigh's unbeaten run, which now stretches to nine games in the National League.

Spitfires boss Andy Hessenthaler reflecting on the point said: “I think it was a fair result.

“The way we started the game was tremendous. We pinned them back and we got the goal.

“But Fylde are a good side. They’re young, they have very good movement and they take risks. It’s hard to stop their flow of play, but we dug in and defended really well.

“They equalised, but we responded straight afterwards with an absolutely fantastic goal. It was a sublime finish by Ryan who had an exceptional afternoon on his first start.

“It (Fylde's late equaliser) was a little bit frustrating when we were so close to getting all three points, but this was a good point and a valuable one against a decent side.

“My target when I took over was two points a game. I’ve had eight games and we’re actually two points ahead of that target with 18.

“We’ve now got to build on that …

Ronnie Moore leaves Eastleigh

Ronnie Moore has left Eastleigh after just three months and 21 games in charge.

A club statement read as follows:

"The club would like to announce that due to personal circumstances over the past few weeks the club have agreed to terminate Ronnie Moore’s contract with immediate effect.
"The club have nothing further to add at this time and will make further announcements in due course." .@eastleighfc chairman @stewartdonald3 talks to @BBCRadioSolent following Ronnie Moore's departur... via @audioBoom — BBC Solent Sport (@solentsport) November 30, 2016
The club can confirm that Ronnie Moore has left the club due to personal circumstances #Spitfires — Eastleigh FC (@EastleighFC) November 30, 2016
My family are all good don't worry about us ,all the best to everyone at Eastleigh — ronnie moore (@ronniemoore53) November 30, 2016
.@EastleighFC chairman Stewart Donald: "We had a chat today with Ronnie. Its been very sudden but we must mo…

Maidstone 2-3 Eastleigh

Eastleigh continued their recent run of good form to come from 2-1 behind to win 3-2. Ayo Obileye scored twice for the Spitfires and Ryan Broom netted on his debut to make it seven games unbeaten for Andy Hessenthaler's side.

Here's what the Eastleigh manager had to say reflecting on the win: “I don’t think we played particularly well today, but you’ve got to give Maidstone credit, they’re a good footballing team.

“We gave them two goals first half.

"For the first one, the ball went out of play, but it doesn’t matter about that. Ayo’s held his hands up, you can’t give a ball back to Rosco (Flitney) like that and you can’t start games like that.

“Are we going to get a clean sheet this season? I’m not so sure.

“But if we keep winning games 3-2 and 4-3, I’ll take it all day long!

“We’re on a bit of a roll now and we’ll take full confidence to play Hartlepool at home on Saturday.

“If we keep doing that week in, week out until the end of the season, who knows?

“The lads are ta…