The Blue Square looks a good bet for Scannell

By Wendy Gee

DAMIAN SCANNELL is playing with a smile on his face again after renewing his successful partnership with Eastleigh boss Ian Baird.

Back in late 2007, the talented winger/striker enjoyed three outstanding months under Baird's tutelage at the Silverlake Stadium, earning him his big break into the Football League with Southend United in January 2008.

Although he totted up more than 50 appearances in two-and-a-half seasons at Roots Hall, Scannell suffered more than his fair share of injuries and, at one stage, even contracted swine flu.

Then, with the Shrimpers running into financial difficulties, he rejected a new deal in the summer of 2010, instead signing a two-year contract for Dagenham & Redbridge.

But, despite making 17 appearances for the the npower League Two side this season, Scannell wasn't entirely happy with life at Victoria Road.

So last week he opted out of League football to rejoin Eastleigh in the Blue Square Bet South - even though his Daggers contract still had six months left to run.

Choosing his words carefully about his Dagenham departure, Scannell - back in non-League after totting up almost a century of Football League appearances - said: "I could have stayed there. I played in the last game before I left and I wasn't out of contract.

"But Dagenham are quite a direct side and it was difficult for me to find form there.

"That was my fault too, though. I found it hard to adapt to their style of play.

"Had things been different, I would have stayed at Southend.

"Even though I had a bad run of injuries and they got relegated (to League Two) I enjoyed it there.

"If it wasn't for their financial position I would have signed on again.

"It was good fun at Southend and it was a real shame we got relegated, but that was definitely down to everything going on off the pitch.

"Having played in non-League previously, I really didn't have much money, so it hit me hard when I wasn't getting paid.

"I was really struggling financially and that's why I had to leave."

The south Londoner - older brother of Crystal Palace's highly-rated young strike prospect Sean - is already enjoying his football again.
Although he missed a penalty on his Spitfires comeback against Thurrock last Saturday, he excelled in a free role alongside rugged targetman Jamie Brown who picked up the sponsors' man-of-the-match award in a 3-2 win.

Baird has hinted that Scannell did not get on with the "tried and trusted methods" of Dagenham boss John Still and the player himself explained: "A lot of managers see me as an out-and-out winger and I find it difficult to operate just stuck out wide.

"Bairdy lets me roam.

"My brief against Thurrock was to get on the ball and get around Jamie Brown.

"Browner did really well. He's a joy to play alongside.

"He's an animal and takes a lot of the hits that I try and avoid!"

Had it not been for generous sponsorship from the club's potential new majority shareholders Bridle Insurance, Eastleigh would never have had the financial muscle to bring Scannell back. But the 26-year-old - dubbed a "marquee signing" by Baird - says it was more than money that prompted his return, insisting: "I'm here because I want to be."

Bridle have a five-year plan to propel Eastleigh into the Football League and the Catford-based crowd-pleaser want to be part of that grand ambition.

"I've always kept track of what Eastleigh are doing because I made some good friends here and I like the club," he said.

"People are saying I've come back because of the new investors, but Eastleigh wasn't my only option. I could have stayed in the League and earned the same money - or more.

"I sat down with Ian Baird and (director of football) Dave Malone and they put together a package for me.

"But we didn't just talk finances. They told me about the club's ambitions and how they want to take Eastleigh to the next level," he stressed.

"With the new investment coming in, Eastleigh should be in the Conference, if not this year then next."

While Scannell has temporarily stepped down the leagues, he envisages big things for his 21-year-old brother who has caught the eye of a number of top-flight clubs.

"Sean's flying. He's going to be in the Premier League," he predicted.

"I looked after him when he was younger, so he owes me one!"

Comments

  1. thanks for giving a great information to us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Richard Hill

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.