Flood: I don't want to leave Eastleigh

By Gordon Simpson

CHRIS Flood hopes his virtuoso performance in the Hampshire Senior Cup final will be enough to keep him at the club next season.

The 22-year-old, who has been placed on the transfer list, scored the opener and set up the second for Mitchell Nelson in the Spitfires' 2-0 win over Totton at St Mary's.

After the match, Flood indicated he wants to stay at the Silverlake Stadium and help the club push for promotion into the Blue Square Premier.

"I think I showed the fans that I want to be here next year, so I've got to wait and see what happens," he said.

"I'm going to just work hard, that's all I can do.

"I've done well tonight, so hopefully I can just build on that."

Speaking of the atmosphere in the Eastleigh dressing room after the team's victory, Flood added: "It's really good. It's a great set of lads and that's another reason why I really want to stay."

Flood who missed most of the last two months of the season with a hip problem, said he understood Eastleigh's decision to transfer list him.

"To be honest, I expected it, because I missed a lot of last season through injury," he said.

"That sort of thing happens in football, you've got to respect it."

If it does turn out that Flood has played his last game for the club, at least he has gone out with a bang.

"We're really, really pleased, it was a good win and it's kind of a local derby," he said. "The fans desperately wanted us to win, and we've made history for the club as well - it's the first time Eastleigh have won it, so it's great news."

On his own performance, Flood added: "I was happy. I hadn't played a game in probably two months through injury, but I got on the scoresheet and gave an assist.

"It was really nice, it was a good occasion. I had never played at St Mary's, so it was a really good feeling."

Chris Flood
Picture by Andy Nunn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deal sealed with Lawshield

Eastleigh Res. 0-1 Tooting & Mitcham Utd Res.

Richard Hill